1.How long have you been with our company?
"Going into my 6th year, and the time has flown by!"
2. What is your title and role at Canadian Energy?
“I’m the CEO – my role is first and foremost to find and empower great people to do their best work, and then to make sure that we are providing the most value in the market to our customers. It’s a balancing act of making sure you are achieving your short terms goals while investing in the future. Your business today is largely a function of the work you put in years ago, so you have to set a vision and go for it, even when you don’t have all the information you would like to make decisions”.
3. What’s the best thing about coming to work every day?
“That’s easy – it’s the people. All our team members at CE across Canada, our customers and business partners. It’s the people that energize and inspire me every single day. I think the other thing I really enjoy is trying to build something in Canada, for Canada. We have to build great companies here in Canada if we want to continue to be the best place to live in the world, and we are passionate about that."
4. What’s the one piece of advice you’d give to someone who is just getting started with our Company?
“Believe in yourself. We all have different gifts, but if you put in the effort and be passionate about what you do every day, you will love it here."
5. What’s the reason you’ve stayed with CE so long?
“I think we do a good job of staying humble and we keep a sense of humour at all times. That creates an atmosphere of openness and collaboration where no one is worried about their turf, and its in this kind of environment where you can accomplish great things working as a team. In short – no bs, we just get after it and have fun along the way."
6. What is your motto or personal mantra?
"Persistence always overcomes resistance. Always.”
7. What is your favourite movie?
"I probably have to go with Dumb and Dumber just in terms of the amount of laughter it still generates even after watching it dozens of times. I think it’s my kids’ favorite movie too!"
8. Who is your favourite band or singer?
"Wow – hard to pick just one. I guess if I was on a desert island and could only take one album, it would probably be Radiohead."
9. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see star as you?
"Oh, maybe Viggo Mortenson – he’s a handsome devil close to my age, well actually way older than me, but still has it."
10. If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be and why?
"Frank Sinatra in his prime. I just can’t imagine anything cooler than that. That would be epic."
11. If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
"I can’t refuse Chicken Wings or Cheesecake. It’s a curse. If you need something from me, bring one or the other or preferably both. I guess if it was just one meal it would be Chicken Wing Cheesecake – yum!"
12. If it could help with your job, what super power would you like to have?
"I’d love to be able to change people’s minds just by wiggling my ears. Good ideas and knowing what to do is the easy part in business – it's changing the status quo that takes all the time."
13. Who do you nominate for our interview next month?
Thank you Craig. We appreciate your dedication and fearless leadership at Canadian Energy!